History Of the Hot Springs
Hot Sulphur Springs was originally a winter campground for Native Americans who came to use the hot springs for medicinal purposes. In 1840 William Newton Byers, founder of the Rocky Mountain News, was the first European American to document the springs. He founded the town in 1864 when he took ownership of the Hot Springs. The first Modern hotel on site was built in 1903 complete with hot and cold running water.